Three Different Layout Options with Designer’s written Design Explanation
Final Floorplan identifying Food Flow Zones
Kitchen Elevations identifying Storage Solutions
Signature Design Options:
Black & White line Perspectives from three angles
Designer recommended Style Choices
Color Perspective from one angle
The following example shows how a kitchen can be designed using the
Signature Design Package
This kitchen is a basic U-Shaped layout in a 10′ by 12′ space with the dining room located through the doorway at right. The wall perpendicular to the dining room wall backs on to the living room space. The sink wall is an outside wall with the door on that wall going to an outside deck. The goal with this design was to open up the kitchen, incorporating the dining room into the kitchen.
- The refrigerator door opens the wrong way with no drop off space
- The cabinet above the refrigerator is only 12″ deep and not easily accessed
- The microwave takes up valuable counter space
- The single shelf in the base cabinet between refrigerator and range lacks functionality
- The base corner cabinet is not very accessible and the piano hinge door hits the free standing range
- The overlapping of the corner upper cabinets hides the corner storage
- The interior of the sink cabinet is an open space with no functionality
- Narrow base cabinet on the end with a single shelf is awkward storage
- Fixed shelves in upper cabinets limits storage options
- Kitchen lacks pantry storage
- The space above the upper cabinets has minimal storage capacity
- The kitchen table must be pulled out to use and another table & chairs set is located in the adjacent dining room
- The kitchen is closed off from the rest of the home’s living space
- The existing space is too small to accommodate the multi cook kitchen that the homeowners desire
- The existing closed off space does not allow for the style of entertaining the homeowners would like
- The homeowners would like to incorporate a large island in their kitchen
A Signature Design Solution
- Cabinets to the ceiling with adjustable shelves
- Utensil insert in the top drawer
- A divider across the front of the middle deep drawer to coral pot lids
- Angled spice insert in top drawer
- Magic corner accessory in blind corner base cabinet
- Knife block insert in drawer
- Wide condiment rollout
- Sink false front tilt-out (at both sinks)
- Pullout compost bin
- Angled spice insert in top drawer
- Utensil divider in second drawer
- Vertical tray dividers in cabinets above the refrigerator and pantry
- A 36” wide chef’s pantry accessory in pantry
- Pullout double recycle bins
- Detergent pullout
- Sink cabinet U-shaped pullout basket
- Tea towel pullout
- Cutlery inserts in upper drawers
- Glass doors with glass shelves
- Deep pullout drawers under built-in bench
As per Signature Design this layout has limited restrictions. In this design the room was opened up to the living space and the dining area was incorporated into the kitchen, transforming the area into a great room. The dining space incorporates a built-in hutch and bench seating.
A door to the outside was eliminated and a set of French doors replaced it farther down the wall giving access to the back deck and yard. A large window replaced a smaller one flooding the room with light. The structural changes* allowed for a very functional layout of an L-shaped kitchen & large island. The island also incorporated informal dining for the family.
Optimum food flow incorporating the five Kitchen Zones were planned into the design of this larger space.
Food Storage Zone
The Food Storage Zone was placed between the new large window and glass double doors. A side-by-side refrigerator is balanced by an equal sized pantry for ample food storage. Both units were framed by wide pilasters for a furniture look. The pantry was accessorized with a “chef’s pantry” accessory that provides multiple storage options for individual food stuffs. The large deep cabinets above the refrigerator and pantry have been outfitted with vertical dividers to house anything in the kitchen that is long & flat. The counter space to the left of the food storage area is the drop off space for items coming out of the refrigerator. The deep bottom drawer below this counter stores plastic food storage containers and the third drawer holds food wraps.
Directly beside the Food Storage Zone is the prep zone with a dedicated sink. Since the counter space between the refrigerator and the sink works as a drop off space from the refrigerator, food can be placed here then washed and moved to the left of the sink for final preparation. The drawers to the right of the sink are accessorised to organize cooking utensils and prep spices and condiments. The false front area in the sink cabinet tilts forward to store vegetable peelers and brushes. A pullout compost bin is located under the prep sink. The top drawer to the left of the sink stores knives in a block that organizes them and keeps them sharp. The wide condiment rollout under the knives provides condiment storage for both the prep zone and the cooking zone. The blind corner cabinet has been fitted with a magic corner to store small appliances. Installing the Prep Zone under a window with no overhead cabinetry is a fabulous place to prep food.
Around the corner from the Prep Zone is the Cooking Zone. A pro range and vent hood are the center of the Cooking Zone with ample counter space and storage around them. The magic corner accessory is shared by the prep zone and the cooking zone. Small appliances used for cooking functions are stored in one of the magic corner sections. The angled spice drawer insert above the magic corner houses spices that go directly onto food being cooked. To the left of the range is a bank of drawers for pots and pans. A solid divider approximately 6″ from the front of the drawer was specified to corral lids. The wide top drawer is fitted with a utensil divider across the entire width. This drawer will hold all of the cooks utensils. The upper cabinetry shelves to the right of the hood can be adjusted to accommodate cooking oils and vinegars.
As prepping and cooking work are completed, equipment and utensils can move over to the Clean-up Zone on the large island. The double sink works well for washing up stock pots and the dishwasher is conveniently located on the island’s end. The Clean-up Zone is also easily accessible from the dining table for after meal clean-up. To make this zone as functional as possible it was outfitted with a variety of cabinet accessories. Between the dishwasher and the sink cabinet is a narrow pullout specifically designed to hold dishwasher detergent, dish liquid and scrubbing pads. The narrow cabinet that balances it on the other side of the sink also pulls out and stores tea towels for drying. Within the sink cabinet is a U-shaped pullout basket work around the sink plumbing that comes up through the floor. The large cabinet on the end of the island has a family sized double recycling bin. This allows the recycling to occur in the kitchen where the waste is generated. This large island clean-up zone also acts as a secondary prep area for times when multiple cooks are working in the kitchen.
In this design the serving zone stores all of the tableware in a built-in hutch in the dining space. This layout allows the table to be easily set by a cook’s helper. The upper glass doors show off dishware and add a nice display area. The drawers directly under the glass doors are fitted with cutlery dividers for all of the homeowners flatware. The drawer banks in the base cabinets house alfresco tableware and additional serving dishes. The built-in bench also incorporates deep drawers. These drawers are a great place to store table linens and accessories.
The Vestabul Signature Design solution in this example shows that knocking down the walls to make a great room is just the first step in the design planning. Ensuring that your final layout is as functional as beautiful is the goal. Is the Signature Design Package the one needed to give you your dream kitchen?
*All structural changes need to be confirmed and undertaken by a qualified contractor.